Fall is my favorite season. When I was younger I absolutely loved summer because of freedom from school, warm weather, and the long days.
Now that I’m what I loving refer to myself as “old and fat”-I like my days shorter and colder…kind of like I am!
Alright, all jokes aside, I really do love this season. I love sweater weather. I love pumpkin spice lattes. I love apple orchards and pumpkin patches. I love baking. I love soups. I love trick or treating. I love crazy Holloween makeup. It’s just my total favorite ever.
Since starting my own little family I get to pick what our yearly traditions are. It is AWESOME. That is definitely a positive to becoming an adult.
Here are some of our favorite fall traditions:
1. Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks. I have no shame in my game. I don’t give a care if this makes me a basic white girl…I love me some PSL. I’m usually the first one in line with my PSL pass that Starbucks sends out to gold cards around Labor Day to cultivate the excitement.
2. Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins. I already whipped up some of these ones a few days ago and we LOVED them. The secret is that you absolutely MUST have the pepitas on top. Also just say “pepitas” a lot during fall.
3. Go to an apple orchard/pumpkin patch. Our favorite in the Pittsburgh area is Simmons Farm. We like to go on Friday when there aren’t huge crowds. We pick a million apples and a few pumpkins. They also have a hayride, petting zoo, hay maze, and slides. It’s an all-day party for us.
4. Go trick or treating. Last year right after V turned 3 was the first year we took her trick or treating. It was SO fun. She just kept giggling and giggling. We can’t wait to do this again this year!
5. Carve some pumpkins. So, my husband is seriously the most amazing pumpkin carver I’ve ever met in real life. I know there are some people who go really crazy with their pumpkin carving and win contests and stuff…but people…my husband can make my pumpkin dreams a reality. Last year he was coming up blank with inspiration and my brain instantly jumped to “Batman!” because I love Batman…and he KILLED it.
Here’s our 2015 pumpkin too!
6. Make caramel apples. Pretty self-explanatory. My favorite toppings are chopped peanuts and health bar pieces. My daughters favorite is sprinkles, of course.
7. Make apple crisp. Ug, I love apple crisp. The topping is just so yummy. I’m not crazy about apple pie, but I would never turn down some apple crisp with vanilla ice cream. 🙂 We love this recipe.
8. Drive around and look at changing leaves. Even if it’s just on the way to somewhere else (like Aldi, or church) I make sure to appreciate the amazing colors of the leaves. UG, the BEST time of year.
9. Go to an apple festival. We hit this one last year and it was SUCH a blast. V went on a horse ride, we bought yummy fair food, watched a little pageant show, shopped all the vendors, and just overall had an incredible time. We can’t wait to go back again this year!
10. Drink fresh apple cider. We got three gallons of fresh pressed apple cider from the apple festival and we were all instantly addicted. I could drink that stuff all year, every day. It is so sweet and refreshing. I like it both hot with cinnamon sticks and cold. Yum.
11. Watch Holloween movies. I am really bad with horror, so my list includes The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Addams Family, and Coraline. *note. We do not allow our children to watch these movies with us.*
12. Light fall scented candles every night. David and I are obsessed with the fall scents from Bath and Body Works. Our favorite candles are “Leaves” “Flannel” “Sweater Weather” and “Marshmellow Fireside.” We usually wait until between Holloween and Christmas and stock up for the next year. If you have a recommendation for a healthy candle company with bangin’ scents, PLEASE let me know! 🙂
Ok-Now you tell me! What are some of YOUR family Fall traditions?! Leave me a comment and let me know-I’d love to add some fun things to my list! 🙂